GOLF MKIV wiith ABS help -changing brake fluid

HI

I have a 1999 GOLF mkIV 1.6 petrol with ABS.

I know how to change brake fluid with older standard cars.

But mine golf has ABS. Can I change the brake fluid like I do with older cars.? I just get someone to press the brake pedal while I loosen the brake fluid nipple on each wheel.??

I rang the dealers and they all said has to be done by them.

please let me know. thanks in advance

Dave

Reply to
davidwan828

The trick of a Brake-Fluid flush is to make VDF (very damned sure) that no air gets into the lines. If you keep this in mind, you can do it yourself. Given that you have ABS, you have to more-or-less do the furthest-to-closest process as you would any car, then afterwards do all four simultaneously, which is not typical. A power-bleeder really does help with ABS.

With that in mind, you will need 2x the amount of fluid were it a non- ABS car. Start with the off-side rear caliper and drain until clear, with a hose to the bleeder-valve to a bottle/cup with fluid in it... a siphon if you will so if there is any back-suction, it will suck fluid, not air. Then near-side rear, off-side front, near-side front. And a HELPER (NOT YOU!! A HELPER!!) adding fluid as you go to keep the reservoir FULL at all times. Best actually is 3 individuals. One pumping, one filling, one attending each cylinder.

Then all four open to hoses to bottles and flush until all four remain clear. Tighten from near-side front to off-side rear.

Top off. Done.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw