Golf running, stalls occasionally

Finally got back the 90 Golf 8V back from the shop. It stopped running one day when around a corner I stepped on it and it died with a whirring sound. The shop replaced the timing belt, water pump, battery, and starter. $750 and a week later, it's running again. Yes!

When I got it home I replaced the oil, filter, and plugs for good measure.

Anyway, it still stalls (dies) occasionally at stoplights when I put in the clutch and the revs drop.

Suggestions?

Reply to
Ears

I'm not sure if a 90 is CIS or Motronic, but if the former, I had a similar problem with an '84 GTI, it was eventually determined to be the idle speed screw in the throttle body- it was screwed in too far and was causing the auxiliary air valve to always be open. Backing the screw out solved the problem. Another possibility if CIS is if the electrical connection to the AAV is disconnected and/or the AAV has failed.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Have that shop triple check the timing of the engine and the ignition timing, but mention it in a "nice" way. Maybe telling them you are experiencing engine stalling. ;-)

I have seen too many incorrect timing belt jobs from other shops and even from the dealer. Does the engine have good smooth power?

Then check the ground wires to the cylinder head for the fuel injection. Check for vacuum leaks especially at the intake manifold boot. Its clamps might even be loose. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the suggestions.

The car runs very smoothly once it's warm. I'll take it back to the shop as a last resort. I checked all the hoses in and around the intake and couldn't detect any cracks or leaks.

I did take the cannister off on top of the rubber grommit on the very top of the motor. You know the plastic thing that sits on the very, very top? Anyway, both it and the grommit were filled with a yellow grimy substance. I noticed it continued up the hose that connects that cannister thing to the motor.

What is that cannister called? What's that yellow stuff? Could it be a result of cleaning it with WD40 last week?

Reply to
Ears

The yellow stuff is a mix of oil and water. You get this from short trips. My old '89 had also this stuff clogging up the carb causing a bad idle after comming of the freeway. After a good clean of the valve cover and hoses it never did it again..

SFC

"Ears" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

How are you making out with the intermittent stalling? Any resolution?

Did the shop replace the fuel pump relay? If original, it's got 18 years on it. Your manual should indicate which position it is in on the fuse block. It's not a very tall relay and one way to locate it is to touch the relay and turn on the ignition. You should feel when he solenoid inside goes clunk.

Reply to
bajords9