Golf not starting

Here's the story:

90 Golf 1.8 8v 140,000 miles.

The car died on the freeway and left me stranded. I got it towed home and:

I replaced the oil pressure switch (sensor) on the side of the motor because it was leaking. Also, the day before the car died, I noticed a rattle under the car which I *assumed* was the catalytic converter.

When I replaced the switch, it ran for a while but now won't start at all (it just turns over and over). If the car sits for a while, it starts for a second, but then dies.

Any thoughts? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ears

What lead up to the dying? Was it sudden, or was the car going slower and rougher over time.

Maybe fuel. Maybe it is a really clogged fuel filter, tho I would expect that to be more gradual.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Any codes when you put the scan tool on it?

Reply to
PeterD

Engine code?

Take a look and make sure that nothing has fallen off! :-)

Besides a clogged fuel filter, the problem could be electrical.

Check the electrical connection from the engine to the chassis. The most important one for the electronics is from the corner of the cylinder head to near where the ignition coil is mounted on the firewall.

Re-check all the fuses.

Also, check the fuel pumps. There's one in the fuel tank and an external one for injection pressure.

Depending on the type of engine, either the engine management system or the fuel pump relay use timing pulses from the distributor to tell it that the engine is still turning. When those pulses stop, the fuel pump relay is shut off after about half a second.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

OK lets forget all that other stuff. Start with the basics. FUEL & SPARK. Which don't you have???

If you have both check your timing belt & timing marks to make sure the belt hasn't jumped.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I agree with Craig here. Let us not forget it could possibly be a bad ign switch. Do you always seen the red lights ON in the dash while trying to start the engine?

Check out the ground wires near that oil pressure switch. If they break then you could experience running problems.

Most 90 Golf 8Vs don't have codes, but I believe the California equipped ones might.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Would you kindly tell me how to check this? Thanks.

Reply to
Ears

check your repair manual, you do have one...

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck