Grinding into 2nd and 4th

84 Jetta A1. I have no problem getting it into Rev, 1st, 3rd, 5th but 2nd grinds 20% of the time and 4th grinds 80% of the time. I can always get it in eventually but it takes 5 or 6 pulls.

Is this a common presentation with an "easyish" solution? I've never been in the tranny but I can probably fiddle with the linkage. My only book is a Haynes and I'm pretty new to VW's. Any ideas to try would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Reply to
j brontey

Check oil level ar change to a synthetic gear lube to see if it does better. A little grinding in second is not that unusuall especially if you don't let the syncros do their job. Grinding in 4th is rare. The second gear syncro is not that great.

Does the clutch pr>84 Jetta A1.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Try double-clutching a few times to see if it's your sycro.

-pete

Reply to
Pete Grey

Start with a trip to the dealer and spend the $10 on a linkage bushing kit. Use lots of grease when installing them.

Trent

Reply to
Trent Liles

Yeah it sounds like linkage to me aswell. Second gear is noraml because its the most used gear but 4th is NOT. Since they would both be affected by the same adjustment I think it would be best to start by installed new bushings & adjusting the linkage.

Reply to
Craig Williams

Thanks for the advice. I took a good look at shift linkage and low and behold, it's like a 75 year old rocking chair down there. I can even see the linkage push the gearbox *almost* into 4th. Anyway, so a new linkage/bushings kit is coming.

My question now is, after I put the linkage in, what's to adjust? Will it be intuitive? Will it just fit into place? I just can't quite see yet which rods I will be able to move.

Reply to
j brontey

The only adjustment is the shift rod. The new linkage should clear up your problem, use plenty of grease in the cups and all moving parts of the linkage. The shift rod adjustment is a pain so hopefully you wont have to do it.

Trent

Reply to
Trent Liles

What exactly the procedure for double clutching? I have heard of it. And I was told that that was exactly what Steve McQueen did in the great movie Bullitt. But I dont know when the clutch gets pushed or when the shifting occurs.

Reply to
Thater