GTI Hose Replacement

Question to all you folks out there with very elderly VWs like mine: what do you do when the molded hoses in the intake system start to go south? I disassembled my intake system today and found that many of the hoses that connect the idle stabilizer valve to the throttle body have small cracks or are so dry they will soon crack. No wonder the car has been idling so poorly. I checked most of my favorite online parts catalogs for these hoses with no luck. Are my only options to pay inflated dealer prices for OEM hoses or rig something with straight rubber hose from the neighborhood auto parts store? Anyone out there have a suggestion for how to buy/replace these hoses without spending more than half what the whole car is worth at the dealer? TIA.

Reply to
Kent

Boneyard (good luck :) or, in my experience, I pay those inflated prices--saves the time and the kinks when trying to MacGyver your own hoses. To check for additional leaks (especially the fuel injector gaskets), slowly spray either ether (caution!) or finely 'atomized' water (i.e., a good diffuse garden sprayer) over the vacuum lines/injector ports.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Well, junkyards are one source. The hoses will be used, but you may be able to find ones in better shape than yours.

Those two hoses are $14 for the small one (027 133 394L) and $67 for the longer one (027 133 374A) at one online VW dealer I've found, Metro VW in Texas,

The problem with most straight hose is that it won't makesharp bends like you need to replace that s-shaped small hose.

Todd Seattle,WA '86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 259,000 miles '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (boring work car) 491,000 miles

Reply to
racertod

They lasted 17 years so...go oem!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Samco hoses are typically the best aftermarket option.

Reply to
Alex

I agree...go OEM. In my '91 GTI all hoses went about 11 years except for one of them and after 11 years I had them replaced simply because I didn't want to risk a sudden coolant leak even though they all looked and felt good and didn't want to take a chance. But given they lasted so long, I'd say go OEM.

Reply to
Matt B.