Hot oil!

Hi folks -
96 Passat GLX VR6. The car's operating temperatures have lately started to get pretty hot and I'm wondering what the cause might be. The water
temperature stays pretty much the same - indicating around 190 or so on the dial, but the oil temperature on the LED goes up to around 235 or 245. It's not hot out here. Used to be that the oil temp in the car would hover around 215 when driving around. Don't have any flashing lights, no CEL - just hot oil. Any idea what's causing this? Do I need to be concerned?
Thanks - Chris
I am thinking............... sensor or sending unit gauge in dash defective oil cooler or coolant hoses to it What does your coolant look like?
Here are two Passat specific yahoo groups you can join. snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com
--
later,
dave