2001 Jetta diesel timing?

I found the timing marks on the flywheel. I found the marks on the cam. I don?t understand where the marks on the cam should line up. And i can?t find anything for timing the inj. pump. Please help me. :?:

Reply to
dodgeram1998

Didn't you use the correct tools and lock everything into place before removing the belt? If you didn't, you're screwed. Have it towed to the dealer before you destroy the engine. If it's off by only one tooth, the first revolution will destroy the engine. And once it IS put back together, you'll need a Vag-com to set the injection timing anyway.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Correct!

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well said, but then again I bet he doesn't even have a repair manual.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
None4You

wow everyone is concerned about you possibly destroying your engine. I hope you don't either.

go here for some information about the TDI timing belt replacement

I have not done one yet, but I have done a 1.8t and found that a machine shop had flipped the camshaft sprocket over and the timing mark was 4 notches off making the camshafts too far advanced. I am not even sure how long this engine was running this way! :-) Do it right or have someone that knows about them do it right. It gets too expensive if you crunch the valves. :-(

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

He has an A4 which is similar. The often recommended procedure is to buy a proper kit consisting of new idler rollers and a new water pump. I think it even has some new bolts as some of the bolts are one time use stretch bolts. Re-use them again and the engine could try to fall out of the car. The water pump is cheap to replace when doing everything else but expensive to do as a solo job. Many vendors have assembled kits. Here is one vendor I have gotten other parts for my car.

My car needs a new serpentine belt doodad. It sort of needed one

80,000 miles ago but I did not do it. Bearing felt sort of funny but I did not feel like waiting for a new one to arrive. I may change that out next time I feel I have some mad money. Or I could wait another 20,000 miles when it is time for the 200,000 mile tim>wow
Reply to
Jim Behning

Thats too funny. Most dealerships don't even hook up the computer after doing a timing belt on TDI's. Just lock the cam, lock the pump & paint the crank sprocket. Put it all back together & your all done.

Speaking from first hand experience working at many VW dealers.

If you are going to install a new water pump (RECOMMENDED) its best to buy an aftermarket pump as they use a metal impeller vs the plastic factory one.

Reply to
Craig

Reply to
None4You

Well ... as I see it ... only a fool would do it without the correct tools. Anyone doing it without the tools and without a Bentley - would be a total idiot!

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer