how much for timing belt replacement?

I have a ways to go before I need to replace timing belt on my '02 jetta TDI. But when I do it at 60k was just wondering what other folks are paying dealers to replace them. I change my own oil for about $20, but this I'm going to have a pro do.

Reply to
mike92105

Rob Guenther

Call your dealer and ask for a quote.

Reply to
Woodchuck

changed mine on my scirocco years ago... wasn't a big deal as long as you kept the teeth aligned properly.

If I recall... take white-out (that paper stuff) and mark the current belt with each gear so that you know exactly how the teeth fit... then remove the belt without turning any wheels... align the belts, apply white out in the same spots... put the new belt on with white-out aligned... set tension...

Worked for me and many others... don't know how complex the newer vehicles are...

Don't skip a tooth though, or she'll act funny..

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
mike92105

Every dealer within 50 miles of Nashua, NH is asking $800+ for this job. It's outrageous. I am going to buy the tools from Metalnerd and do it myself when the time comes (probably this summer).

Reply to
Jonathan Royce