2000 Jetta

Our Jetta suddenly will not beep the horn when you lock the doors with the remote. Lights still flash and I have replaced the battery in the remote.
Any ideas why this would just start and were to look? Thanks in advance, Ray
Does the alarm horn still work??

leave a window down, set the alarm, reach in to unlock and open a door. If the horn does not sound try to start engine.
report results
Might be hood or trunk switch!

Thanks for the reply. Looks to be the hood switch. I can manipulate it and at times get the horn to chirp. I guess it needs replacing as it is intermittent. Looks tough to get to. Ray

No its not tough to get to. Just take off the front grill & remove the hood latch. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Easiest way to test it is to disconnect the connector which is clipped to the passanger side of the upper rad support. You can follow the wire to the connector. If you disconnect the switch & the horn beeps thats your problem.
Craig

Remember lobo that FINDING the problem is harder than fixing it. You are almost finished with the repair. Just do what Craig says and all will be good again! ;-)

Thanks Dave and Craig also! I have been searching the internet for the micro switch and seem to only find it included with the latching mechanism. I hate to, but will need to call the dealer and see? Ray

BYPASS IT! At least for right now until you find one that won't cost $80 or so!

Exactly. Just disconnect the connector & leave it that way. Its only there in case someone opens your hood when breaking in. Unless your in the habbit of leaving your windows open thats not going to be an issue.
Craig

Possibly a bit of crud on the switch that could be cleaned off with WD40?
I was thinking of giving it a shot of tuner cleaner with lube. Don't know if it is open enough to get any of it inside. Still need to call the dealer to see what a new one would cost. Ray

$80, wow! For just a defective micro switch? Nice design VW has there :(
Disconnect sounds like a better alternative. Got to keep the Wife happy and get her single chirp back. Ray

uhhh the $80 is just a wild guess figuring you would have to purchase the entire latch. Please call up the local VW dealer and ask availability and price. Then let us know what they want for the latch/lock.

Called the local (Fort Worth) VW dealer. The micro switch is a special order for $43.22. Hood latch mechanism which includes the switch $91.70. I guess I will just unplug it and see if the single chirp comes back. Ray

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, lobo wrote:

If that does not do it, try shorting the wires.
Unplugging it will cause the module to see a closed switch.

wow, I was not that far off on the cost of the latch! ;-) I guess I would see if I could repair the switch first and then bypass it if I can't! Next would be just purchasing that switch.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)