How to remove battery in 02 Turbo NB?

Title says it. Can't determine what bolts have to come out to replace battery which is under the drivers fender.

If I find one more common maintenance item (like headlights) that requires a dealer visit, I'm going to set this thing on fire in the dealer's front yard. I'm surprised the dealer doesn't have to put gas in it. Other than that, it's a great car. TIA

Leonard

Reply to
LConn

Found an old recal notice with the instructions in case someone else needs them.

Leonard

Reply to
LConn

You will need a 13mm socket, 10mm socket and an extension. There is a cover that sort of wraps around the battery, covers the front and right side of the battery (battery's right side, not yours). This cover is held in place by a 10mm screw at the cover's corner. Remove. You will now see a 13mm bolt holding a metal bracket that clamps the battery in place, remove. Of course you've removed the battery terminals.

Sometimes it helds to remove the power steering res, 10mm bolt, then you can push it towards the car's right and get a little more wiggle room.

Basically, you will lift the positive side of the battery up higher than the negative side and kind of "roll" it out that way. Same thing when going back in, lower the negative side in first and "roll" the battery into place. Make sure you have that rear lip of the battery in place.

As for that recall you mention in your other post, very old news. I'd say 99.9% of those cars have already been updated, and it was corrected at the factory pretty fast, so you car wouldn't fall under this.

Later.

Reply to
Pencilneck

The only thing I would add to Pencilneck's advise is to use a battery carrying strap that slips over the terminals, makes taking out and installing on an angle a lot easier. I try not to use the dealer for anything if at all possible ( no offense Rencilneck) especially headlight replacement. Once you have done it, it's a 5 - 10 minute job at most, much easier than any sealed beam I have ever replaced.

Good luck, Butch

Reply to
Anton382