How tough are A1 stub axles?

They're probably designed to bend (i.e. somewhat ductile) as you'd certainly want them to bend rather than fracture in an impact as you describe... anyway I had priced them out maybe 3-4 years ago and they weren't expensive at that time; my '84 roccet needed a major rear brake service and the axles were a little scored due to bearings having run dry, with the result that there was a little play in the wheels even with the bearings tight. A quick search shows they are still available at $70 ea. from parts4vws.com - there might be a cheaper price out there but I usually start my search there for non-performance items because back when I was driving VWs regularly their service was always excellent (and I assume it still is. Since the girlie and I are buying a house together, it looks like I will be dusting off the old VW-wrenching skills again, since she'll be bringing her G60 with her.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I had the rear wheels off on my '84 Scirocco and noticed that the passenger side drum would not turn as easily as the driver side - definitely some binding going on (no, the e-brake was not set). So either my wheel cylinder is acting up or my stub axle is bent? Recently I ran over a rock with the rear, passenger wheel and the impact was enough to dent my snowflake GTi wheel and cause the tire to lose pressure. Maybe I bent my axle as well? How tough are these things suppossed to be? How much does a replacement cost?

Thanks, Wojciech

Reply to
Wojciech Galecki

I would think of wheel bearings or the parking brake cable binding in its sleeve.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

have a shop check your front and rear alignment, then you will know if something's bent.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck