Non-stock axles question.

I've heard about using Scout axles. Any particular year range? Any of them have disc brakes or are conversions available? Anything that's beefy but still good for regular long haul freeway speeds (75 mph or so for 5 or 6 hours straight). What about GM, Ford or others?

The reason I'm not using the already beefy Toyota V6 axles under this truck is that I'm using a Toyota driveline (EFI V6, 5speed & transfer as well as the entire Toyota wiring harness) in a 50's Willys Wagon, but the front axle isn't going to work because of serious 'body alignment' reasons. I won't use the stock Willys axles because they're fairly flimsy, only good for about 45 mph - and over 50 years old.

I'm looking to do regular long distance freeway driving every day and occasionally tow a trailer - never rock crawling or swamping and only the ocassional muddy road 'up north' on vacation. As I also live in Wisconsin, I'm sure the 4WD will get a good workout on a regular basis every winter. I'm not fixing up this truck to bash it up in the woods - this'll be my daily driver.

I want to stay with the stock driveline/driveshaft geometry with the tranfer case going to the rear axle (roughly) in the center and the front shaft going up on the passenger side.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for reading, - Jeff G.

Reply to
Jeff Gross