Hubcaps Stolen -- Suggestions?

Two of my Passat 2002 hubcaps were stolen. This was on the passenger side, so I may not have noticed right away.

Any suggestions as to how to avoid a recurrence?

Reply to
Richard Schulman

One word: alloys. I happen to have a set of nice Prime 5-spoke polished wheels w/nearly new tires if you're interested (they're 4 lug & fit my '89 Cabrio; I guess your Passat is the same?). I'm about 30 miles above Atlanta just off I-85. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Reply to
ThaDriver

It seems just about every one I know has had two hubcaps stolen. Mine were stolen off a 1970 Bug about 1973. Cost me $3.50 each for replacements from VW and my insurance paid for that.

I guess I don't worry too much about it. If that is the worse they steal from me and no one is injured, I'm tickled.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

4 words: Alloys with locking bolts.
Reply to
Matt B.

As someone already said, get alloys.

Or, get some generic inexpensive wheel covers at Target, Kmart, WalMart, local FLAPS, etc. they're less likely to be stolen and even if they are they'll be cheaper to replace.

Reply to
Matt B.

tires if you're interested (they're 4 lug & fit my '89 Cabrio; I guess your Passat is the same?). I'm about 30 miles above Atlanta just off I-85.

Reply to
DDB

A number of good suggestions for follow-up. Thanks...

Reply to
Richard Schulman
17" alloys and wheel locks.
Reply to
Woodchuck

"02 Passat would be five bolt" OK - I would still suggest going with alloys. It seems you care about the way your car looks (right Richard?), or you would just run it without hubcaps. An alternative would be to make some kind of bolt/screw on setup to attach your hubcaps so they can't simply be pulled off. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Reply to
ThaDriver

tires if you're interested (they're 4 lug & fit my '89 Cabrio; I guess your Passat is the same?). I'm about 30 miles above Atlanta just off I-85.

Steel IS an alloy :-)

Reply to
93 Fox

Yes, vote for republicans who will work to set and enforce some standards of decency needed for for a civilized society and work to get our government to stop doling out free welfare for low-lifes who then don't have to work to feed themselves and have nothing else to do but steal your hubcaps.

You need to vote for legislators who will support effective criminal justice and judicial systems that will consistently render punishments for offenders that are commensurate with their crimes, especially for repeat offenders. This will serve to deter other hubcap thieves.

Vote for candidates that will support tightening our borders to keep out the type of people who have no respect for other people or their property.

Pay attention, understand the issues and do the work that is necessary to think for yourself and understand how to vote in your own best interest - something too many people are unable to do.

Just some suggestions to help us all keep our hubcaps!

Fred

Reply to
Fred Fartalot

Do you really think voting Republican will make hubcaps safer? Is there really a correlation between welfare and hubcap theft? Is "no child left behind" putting our society on the right track?

I'm wondering how many hubcap thieves actually get caught. I'm betting that it is a very small percentage. But you're right, if we beef up enforcement of existing laws and make sure that all hubcap thieves who are caught get the maximum penalty, then we can certainly make a dent in hubcap thievery.

Which type of people is that? The English? Chinese? Dutch? My experience is that foriegners and immigrants generally have much more respect for people and their property than many Americans do. Just look at how America got this property in the first place.

I'll agree with you on that. And I'll agree that perhaps if we vote for hubcap safety we can make our country a better place. We don't need to place blame on foriegners and poor folk. If you lose your caps, the chances are just as good that it was some rich white kids who were bored and, as you put it, "don't have to work to feed themselves and have nothing else to do but steal your hubcaps."

Yeah, we can probably all join together and make this country better and our hupcaps safer. In the mean time buy some alloy wheels or figure out how to lock your caps on. Some well placed zip ties would probably foil most thieves...

Jason

Reply to
Jason Faas

Let's not stop there. Let's empty all our jails into other countries. Then let's go back and send out everyone who has ever been convicted of a crime. Maybe we should include those who have been accused but not convicted.

We also need to get rid of anyone who has already come into out counrty and kick them out, and their children.

Now let's let's get rid of all those theiving Indians.

Then I can truly say, we will have a crime free county.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Quote from the parts department at my VW dealer: Those cost $350 each, so coverage for all four wheels would be $1400 + tax. Yipes!

Reply to
Richard Schulman

Wow, those prices have gone by the wayside along with Woolworth's and the $2K Bug. Thanks, Arthur Burns, and you other board members at the Fed.

According to my VW dealer's parts department, standard issue hubcaps for the 2002 Passat now cost $35 each. Affordable but not exactly pocket change if this keeps happening.

Maybe I should take Fred Fartalot's advice and vote Republican, despite the fact that GWB seems more concerned this year with jocks shooting steroids than punks prying hubcaps.

Reply to
Richard Schulman

OK...five words: Aftermarket alloys with locking bolts.

Aftermarket ones can be had for under $200 each for most styles, with about

1/2 under $150. If you time it with tire replacment (wait until your tires wear out), then you can even economically do a plus 1 or plus 2 size upgrade if you want.
Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
skydivertu

Reply to
skydivertu

My response did not suggest not enforcing the law to protect property. It was in response to the hateful and illogical statement:

"Vote for candidates that will support tightening our borders to keep out the type of people who have no respect for other people or their property."

The idea that somehow people from other countries are the ones creating a crime problem is just not logical. I am sure if you take a good look, you will see that most people who are steal in the US were born here. In addition, I believe it is highly likely that those who made the original statement or supported it, are decedents of people who came to the US from outside the borders.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan