If You're in the Milwaukee Area...

Be sure to call Jim's Bug Center on St Paul Ave in Waukesha for a quote on your next service. I just got back from picking up my Jetta, after having had the timing belt and water pump replaced (60K preventive maintenance) -- total bill was $370, $225 for the belt and $145 for the pump. I had been quoted as much as $600 for replacement of the belt alone by local VW dealers, and none was less than $450, for the belt alone. Including the water pump, the dealers would have been in the neighborhood of $750.

Gotta support your local, small businesses -- especially when they save you big money. ;-)

Reply to
Brian Running

none2u

We have a similar garage a 20 minute brisk walk from us run by a father and sons (same location for 60 years). They even tell me up front that for any given service, labor is X and all parts and materials are marked up 50% for parts, 100% for fluids. If I supply the materials, labor remains X, but there is no warranty on the parts (but there is on the labor... like a properly installed oil plug, for example). The mark-up is to cover for failures, handling and so-forth, but they really don't care if I bring the parts.

They do good work, they are timely, they keep an immaculate garage and they are very pleasant in general.

The 60,000 mile service on the Eurovan Camper came to $245 (my parts), but the full list of services up to and including flushing the brake fluid and coolant (my fluid and non-toxic coolant). So I guess I had about $150 worth of material in that ($89 in the four filters alone, $24 in the platinum plugs). All-in, $395 or so. PA state inspection & emissions was a flat $75 on top of that, and would not have changed whatever the vehicle (assuming it passed).

We found them a while back through Angie's List.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw