1999 Passat 1.8T Timing Belt

The user manual for the 1999 Passat doesn't specify a service interval on the timing belt. Groups.google.com doesn't help, with guesses of 40k, 80k, and 100k miles.

Does anyone know for sure what the real interval is?

Bob

Reply to
bob
105,000 miles according to VW, but I would do it sooner. Here's the kicker, if you are the first owner then the engine has a 10year/100,000 mile warranty and if the belt breaks then the repair is free. Around here owners would rather just let the belt break as long as it's in warranty just to avoid the service cost. So... if you are getting very close to the end of your warranty then get the belt DONE soon as most start breaking at about 90,000 miles.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Also get your water pump changed at the same time. We had a 2001 Passat 1.8T whose water pump failed, and it took the timing belt along with it...resulting many bent valves.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

The AEB motor has a wide spread probem with timing belt tensioners to which VW does not admit and has no recall for (of course, what else is new)

If you own the car do not walk RUN and have your timing belt AND tensioner replaced. They tipically break around 70,000 miles and that will cost you a lot of money !!!

Reply to
Alex

It's not just the AEB engine...all 1.8Ts have this issue...and it actually isn't that serious...there is no need to recall these vehicles as it isn't a safety issue. Proper maintenance, per the VW maintenance schedule (which includes checking the timing belt at certain intervals) will spot issues earlier on.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

We have seen several break and crash valves just over 60k, very difficult to judge when they NEED to be changed if no obvious glazing...cracked teeth. ~ $450. with new tensiner/roller kit but could save thousands of $$ and a breakdown on side of cold highwat x miles from home........ Joel Osserman, proprietor SelectEurocars.com -Top 10 Buyer VW Off Lease USA '85-2001

0685 Waterloo-Geneva Rd. Waterloo, NY 13165 (315)-789-9368 phone (315)-789-9018 fax Always a choice of, 1995+ off-lease VW/Audi See us @
SELECT TRA

Wide spread, it's not... at least in our area. Over all we do about 10-15 broken timing belts a year on the 1.8t Passat. And yes the early tensioner would fail before the 100,000 warranty ran out so the repair is free unless you purchased the car used and didn't purchase an extended warranty policy. Shame on you. Another bit of trivial information for the Passat 2.8 V6 owners... open your hood and look and see what the red label states. It's located near the left side of the grill.It states t-belt should be changed at 75,000mile! Personally I'm from the old school of VW techs and would rather see everyone replace the T-belt at 60,000miles. "VW does not admit and has no recall for (of course, what else is new)" If it was an issue we would have a lot of Passat's with a bunch of bent vales!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Sure it's not safety...it will cost you $3000 or more that's all... And when was the last time an average VW mechanic spotted a problem early on ? They will spot it allright when the belt breaks. To the original poster: Would you like to bet $3000 on your VW dealership ? I would not. And by the way for a second owner the powertrain warranty is not

100,000 miles. I think VW has redesigned the tensioner on 2001+ 1.8T
Reply to
Alex

Ask any good VW tech what would he rather do 1- easy t-belt job or 2- t-belt job and head full of bent valves? Eh.. like my northern friends it's a hands down "choice #1"!

Reply to
Woodchuck

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (SELECT TRA) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m13.aol.com:

My wife drive the car a lot. It's got 80,000 miles, so it's off to the shop quickly then.

Thanks to all the people who replied!

Bob

Reply to
bob

You see 10-15 broken belts per yr out of how many? And how many miles, usually. Thanks for the advice.

I e-mailed VW service last week saying my owners manual did not specify the timing belt service requirement (1.8 turbo). They called me back and said 60k miles. The woman who called did not seem fully informed (shall we say) and might have been mixed up with the TDI engine - which does have a 60k mile limit. If it is covered by the 100k mile drive train warrenty you would think VW would offer a deal on replacement. The dealer said ~$850, a local garage ~$450 I had an inspection done at 60k mile service (garage not dealer) and it looked fine to them. THANKS jim

Reply to
coloradored22

"coloradored22" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I finally got my Passat into the dealer. It really has 95,000 miles, not whatever I posted earlier (my wife's car). The dealer said it was "due".

He said the timing belt, roller kit, water pump, and coolant ought to come to around $525. He gave me a loaner. I asked him to look into a couple other items, which I told him I didn't want to spend more than $25 each on.

Bob

Reply to
bob

I also have a '99 Passat which was purchased new. It now has 75K miles on it, and I'm getting nervous about the belt. I also checked with the dealer and received a price of ~$800.00-$900.00 to do the belt, tensioner and water pump. But why?? It's covered under warranty. I too believe that VW should help with the cost of the replacement as I would be saving THEM money in the long run. If the cost was around $400.00, I'd have it done just to have peace of mind and avoid any inconvenience. But at the price the dealer wants, I'll take my chances.

One thing, the dealer did tell me. VW has started to be real pricks about picking up the price of repair on a car that had the belt break. They said that VW is starting to insist on proof that the regular maintenance has been done. If you cannot prove it, they might not pay for the repair. Not sure about this, but it's what the dealer informed me of.

usually. Thanks for the advice.

the timing belt service requirement (1.8 turbo). They called me back and said 60k miles. The woman who called did not seem fully informed (shall we say) and might have been mixed up with the TDI engine - which does have a

60k mile limit. If it is covered by the 100k mile drive train warrenty you would think VW would offer a deal on replacement. The dealer said ~$850, a local garage ~$450

looked fine to them. THANKS jim

Reply to
quattroA4cars

"quattroA4cars" wrote in news:401d69fb$0$2676$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

So we picked up our car and the bill came to almost $1000 (not the $525 they told me up front).

Part of it is $100 for a fuel filter and air filter that I told them I had just replaced the week before!!

They also said that the thermostat housing needed to be replaced because it was warped, which was probably close to $200.

Bob

Reply to
bob

I would disagree. They are all wear items. Besides VW says the replacement interval is 105,000 on 1999s. I can't think of a single marque that would replace a timing belt at 75k under warranty. It's a rubber belt that needs replacement every once in a while.

As for belts that break. That's why I paid for a dealer inspection at 60k. They charged me $40. Said the tensioner was worn and advised me to not do anything since I have a

10/100,000 powertrain warranty. I've always kept reciepts on all my other do-it-yourself items like oil changes, filters, and plugs.
Reply to
Urlik

Had to throw in my 2cents.................or uh, $2000.00 dollars worth! It was

74000 miles for mine, and the car is in the shop as I type, actualy I just did a quick google search for 99 passat timing belt, and presto here I was. If you have a 99 Passat my advice is to take off the radiator cap, and slide a whole new car in underneath it! I've had my 99 for 8 months, and has been in the shop numerous times. 2 times for the ignition coils and a few other small things like window switches, leaky sunroof,etc. and now................1 broken timing belt that I planned on changing at the recommended 90k. In VWs defense, my warranty did cover the little stuff, and the ignition coils once( I just had to do them again a few hundred miles ago), but now I'm out of the certified pre-owned warranty, and staring down the barrel of at least a $2000.00 bill. Now my question. Is there anything else I should know about, or do I just slide a new car under my old radiator cap? I had a couple of old diesel benzs' in my past, and am starting not to care that my wife does'nt like the smoke, a nice 87 300sdl at the shop that my car is siiting in..............low miles....................only 150k or so........but thats another topic. Thanks for letting me vent here. Dave.
Reply to
daveyboy