How to know if the engine is rebuilt or not

I recently bought a '94 4RUNNER V6 SR5 192,000 miles. It runs great and I did not find any problems with it so far after driving another

2000 miles.I checked with dealer and they said Head Gasket is replaced on that sometime around 2000.

How do I know if the engine is rebuit or Original? How to identify?

I bought a K&N air filter recently and the install instructions says the filer has to be soaked in engine oil first. Why?

TIA.

Reply to
vktechmails

I have a friend with a 94 4runner and he has a cracked head. I hear that is a common problem for those engines . One way to see if the engine is rebuilt is to pull off the head and mic the cylinder bore, if it was rebuilt it's probably bored .030 over.

K&N filters are a very bad idea in my opinion. The reason that they want you to put oil in the filter is to catch the silca dust that the filter media is unable to capture due to the fact that it allows larger particulates to pass unlike normal disposable filters. Sure you may get more horsepower (just as you would with NO filter) but you're gonna wear out your engine's components faster with the particulate contaminates.

DJ

Reply to
nospam

Only way to tell is to remove the head/s and measure the bores, or at least carry out a compression test. K&N filters arent too bad but Id stay with paper If I where you, need to replace more often but better at filtration.

If you do get a K&N unit buy there oil as its way better than engine oil.

Reply to
Scotty

Yabbut, the sticker gives you 2.3 HP!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Well, I guess I can not pull the head and inspect myself OR spend some money to do so (I bought the 4runner for $2500) .

What is the typical life of original engine with head gasket replace by toyota? is 200,000 miles too mouch and it must be a rebuilt engine? What is the typical life of rebuilt engine as well?

TIA

Reply to
vktechmails

If the V6 was rebuilt correctly and its been fully serviced with oil changes each 3000mls it should last another 120,000miles easy.

My 4runner has 238,000kms on it so far and still the origional engine. Not sure if its had the head gasket done or not. It certainly hasnt been rebuilt.

Reply to
Scotty

Since you just bought the truck It doesn't really mater. The motor is most likley the original with the head gaskets replaced, common problem. Being that it is a toyota with proper care it should go 300 K miles maybe more

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Thanks. I was just wondering what are the tell tale signs for a rebuilt engine.

It drives OK and from what I can see in the engine compartment all the parts are still original DENSO parts I think. Are the belts I see outside, can I change myself? Does this '94 4runner SR5 V6 has timing belt or chain?

Also, I hear clicking/ticking sound in front drive shafts I think, when I engage H4 and turn tight corner. Can I replace them myself?

TIA

Reply to
vktechmails

The fanbelts and such are easily user-replaceable. Grab a Haynes or Chilton manual for simple stuff like that.

The V6 uses a timing belt. In theory, to be replaced every 60K miles, but since it's a non-interference engine, you can roll the dice with no downside other than a tow to the mechanic if the belt breaks.

Reply to
Andy Hill

| The fanbelts and such are easily user-replaceable. Grab a Haynes or Chilton | manual for simple stuff like that. | | The V6 uses a timing belt. In theory, to be replaced every 60K miles, but since | it's a non-interference engine, you can roll the dice with no downside other | than a tow to the mechanic if the belt breaks.

My '99 says replace at 90,000 miles. We will replace the water pump and hoses at the same time. Dealer price for belt replacement quoted at $275.00 total. Not worth the inconvienence and expense of the tow for that price.

-- Jarhead

Reply to
Jarhead

Yeah, somewhere around the 1999/2000 model years, Toyota went to spec'ing a 90K mile service interval on the timing belt. However, the OP is sporting a '94 V6, thus a 60K interval. IMHO, the change from 60K to 90K was more of a recognition that those belts are *tough* -- I've heard of a number of folks with well over 100K on the original belts on their mid-90's V6 motors. Personally, I've got 82K on mine (a '96 Taco V6). Somewhere around 90K, I'll probably mosey in and get 'er replaced. $275 is a decent price from a dealer -- I don't think my local mechanic (who normally beats the dealer by a wide margin) could beat that by much.

OTOH, when my 2002 Sequoia (a V8) hits 90K, you can bet I'll have that sucker at the mechanic's mucho pronto -- I don't take chances with interference engines. Still can't believe Toyota made an interference engine with a timing belt...

Reply to
Andy Hill

| >| The fanbelts and such are easily user-replaceable. Grab a Haynes or | >Chilton | >| manual for simple stuff like that. | >| | >| The V6 uses a timing belt. In theory, to be replaced every 60K miles, | >but since | >| it's a non-interference engine, you can roll the dice with no downside | >other | >| than a tow to the mechanic if the belt breaks. | >

| >My '99 says replace at 90,000 miles. We will replace the water pump and | >hoses at the same time. Dealer price for belt replacement quoted at | >$275.00 total. Not worth the inconvienence and expense of the tow for | >that price. | >

| Yeah, somewhere around the 1999/2000 model years, Toyota went to spec'ing a 90K | mile service interval on the timing belt. However, the OP is sporting a '94 V6, | thus a 60K interval. IMHO, the change from 60K to 90K was more of a | recognition that those belts are *tough* -- I've heard of a number of folks with | well over 100K on the original belts on their mid-90's V6 motors. Personally, | I've got 82K on mine (a '96 Taco V6). Somewhere around 90K, I'll probably | mosey in and get 'er replaced. $275 is a decent price from a dealer -- I don't | think my local mechanic (who normally beats the dealer by a wide margin) could | beat that by much. | | OTOH, when my 2002 Sequoia (a V8) hits 90K, you can bet I'll have that sucker at | the mechanic's mucho pronto -- I don't take chances with interference engines. | Still can't believe Toyota made an interference engine with a timing belt...

Honda did on their 70's era Civic. A Rural Health Nurse I know lost the timing belt on her Civic doing 70mph. It locked up the engine and put her in a skid until she was able to get the clutch disengaged. She said it was a ride she didn't want to take again.

Reply to
Jarhead

In message , "Jarhead"

between 98 and 99 they changed the recommended intervals - I believe my 98 is supposed to be either 60 or 75 but in 99 they say 90 - this is for the

3.4. Anyway, I don't think belt technologies have changed between those years and I think the part numbers are the ssame. They may errored on the side of caution during the first few years of the 3.4 or something.
Reply to
Robert