ignition trouble

I own a 1992 vw corrado vr6. I am currently having trouble with the ignition system. at times the car will run fine but then it will cut
off.when it cuts off the coil is sending no power to the distributer. I am trying to find out if this is a coil problem or if it could be wireing to the coil.
I had a problem with a 93 Passat VR6 (with distributor) and it was the coil. Got a Bentley and a VOM (volt ohm meter)?
good luck, dave (One out of many daves)