im lost can anyone help

ok here goes I was driving my 1994 vw jetta and all of a sudden my tack and spedo both just peged went all the way to the max and then dead and it died my
lights were still on and still come on and the car will crank over but wont fire and no warning lights or buzzers come on when the key is turned on what am I missing