Insturment panel lightbulb in 1995 Golf

The light that lights us my speedometer, tachometer, fuel gage, and engine temp has quite working. Is there I way I can access and replace this bulb? Does anyone know what size bulb I need to get? Can I get said bulb at any auto supply store? Thanks for the help!

Reply to
Long Boarders Rule!

I just replaced the whole panel from a junk dealer. Not too hard, don't have to take off Steering wheel, maybe $40?

Chad

Reply to
emulsion

That's a great plan, except that VW's of this vintage (and many other years) have a problem with burning the bulbs out in most models, and other problems with lighting in the instrument cluster. If you just had it go out now on a '95 VW it's likely all you needed was the $10 or so of bulbs. The junkyard one is very likely, I'd suggest, to have the same bulbs not lighting, possibly due to burned out bulbs and possibly due to electrical problems or contact problems.

VW's fix for several of the cars of this vintage was to replace the cluster with an upgraded design, but that wasn't free as it wasn't a "powertrain" component covered under the 10 yr /100k warranty. As a result, I'd expect that many people didn't spring for the $300+ bux to get them fixed.

Reply to
Bob Hetzel

Actually, there was a TSB that spoke of installing a resistor wire in the power to the instrument cluster lights. The lights are on all the time, potentially at full power, on this first run of cars with DRLs. I've basically done the same thing by keeping the lights lower all the time.

Remember when VW had their TSBs online? For free! Not for a number of years now.

The problems I've heard most are melted sockets & over heated contacts that lose tension and need to be tweaked to work again.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol