Jetta 1, 2???

I myself am a scriocco man, but picking up a jetta... its a 92 built in Germany and I don't see any visible GL or other identifiers outside on the bumper... so what is it then? Just a Jetta? or a Jetta GL in disguise, etc????? What's this jetta II stuff I see people talk about???

Reply to
Chris

dnotes

It's a second generation Jetta but you'll never see it badged as such.

There's no badge on the back? Should be a 'GL'. There were some base Jettas (no 'GL' or 'CL'...just "Jetta") around 1988/89 in the US, but the '92s in the US were GL, GLI, Carat, and ECOdiesel but the Canadian lineup could have been different and had a base Jetta with no further trim level specified.

What powertrain is it? If it's a 2.0 16V, congratulations...it's a GLI. If it's a turbodiesel, it's an ECOdiesel. Else, it's probably a GL or Carat

1.8 8V. The Carat in some years had an extra 5hp over the GL because of a dual downpipe.
Reply to
Matt B.
1.8 L

Reply to
Chris

It's most likely a GL then but a dim possibility it could be a Carat...does it have lux items like power windows? if so, it could be a Carat.

Reply to
Matt B.

Would you believe me if I told you it's a Jetta 2.5? No? Good. Like someone said earlier, the Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk3 and Mk4 correspond to build years and body shapes. Mk 2's were '85-'92, but they had a mid-life refreshment in '89 which included doors without vent glass, bigger bumpers, Digifant ECU, larger diameter steering column, etc. So, what you're looking at is a 2.5!

Reply to
black francis