crazy speedometer and lack of power

My '92 740 Turbo wagon has a speedometer that has begun to jump from zero to thirty while idling, and when driving it will drop to zero and jump up to thirty and back.

The wagon has another ailment at the same time, when accelerating and it feels the wagon should shift, it backs off, as if you got off the gas, or a governor clicked in.

Whether or not these two things are related or give a clue to the problems of each I don't know, but it they both are existing at the same time.

Any ideas?

Reply to
docsavage

Have you removed the instrument cluster recently? I have seen that behavior in my speedometer. If you remove the instrument cluster and misconnect the wires (tachometer to speedometer), that will happen. In my case, it also fried the speedometer. I can't speak to the shifting, as I have a stick.

John

on 9/14/2008, docsavage supposed :

Reply to
JvC

Speedometer: it is probably the sensor that picks up the RPM speed on the differential; inspect and clean it, look for frayed wire temporarily shorting out.

Transmission: power flush the fluid and change the filter.

Reply to
Mr. V

Reply to
John Robertson

In article , John Robertson writes

And remove the chain attached to that lamp post.

Reply to
Roger Hunt