Blinker Problems - 96 Jetta

I have a 1996 Jetta. The blinkers work fine until I hit the brakes - then the blinker stops blinking. I checked the fuse and it looks fine

- what could be causing this?

Not sure if this is related, but the speedometer and tachometer were also getting stuck at 0, but I had the battery changed today and they are both now working fine (for now).

Reply to
dwall416

Open ground is my bet.

Go inside the trunk to each rear lamp assembly. From the bulb tray there should be one or more brown wires going to ground, usually a ring terminal screwed to the car's body. Make sure the connection is clean and tight. If it isn't one side of the car, it's probably the other. (Is it a problem for both left and right blinkers or just one of them? Start w/the side that's having the problem (if it's just one side).)

Reply to
Matt B.

I would say you have some crossed wires, prehaps the wire jacket on 2 wires has cracked or melted, and the wires are touching, so that when you apply the brakes, it supplies a constant power stream to your signal lights. I worked on an escort with a much worst problem, car would continue to run after you removed the key. Only way to shut it off was disconect the battery. Problem wires were in the hinge for the rear hatch.

With a Jetta I would start looking in 2 places, in the trunk itself, and the fuse panel, make sure you don't have a leak that would affect the fuse panel.