Jetta Won't Start

Help!

My '90 Jetta...1.8 Digifant, Auto trans....is dead...The battery is fully charged, the fuel pump is running, but the power windows, heater fan, and starter do not seem to want to do anything...I'm thinking that it's the ignition switch, as I have working running and headlights, and the dome light is working as well...all warning lights come on as they should, but as soon as I turn the key to the "Start" position, I get nothing....The car has been starting fine up until now....the Body shop said that they have been moving the car around without issue...

HELP!

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Sell that piece of crap already and get a Honda. Just kidding. IIRC, I had a corroded ground strap once that caused erratic starting - but the radio would work. Maybe check that first before tearing into the switch.

Reply to
John Rutledge

Buy a Honda?

I would rather stuff bambo under my fingernails...

Seriously...The car was starting no problem...and then like someone flipped a switch...it wouldn't start!

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Reply to
Tom Resi

I'm not here to disscuss my personal opinions about Honda. I prefer VW. Some people prefer red wine, others prefer white...it's all a matter of opinion. However, I need to know why my Car won't start!

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

It better not be those Crosby theives.

If it's the ignition switch you *should* be able to wiggle it as you turn the car over and it'll eventuall catch. Is the starter solenoid clicking at all? Are both wires connected to the solenoid itself (one from the +ve terminal, one from the ignition switch I think). Fuses ok? You used to be able to pick up an ignition switch for cheap from the dealer (~CDN$15). Last I checked they'd jacked up the price (~$50).

Good Luck, Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Actually, The car has never been serviced at Crosby...but the Ignition switch has been giving me some trouble, so I think that it might be the root of the issue...

Time will tell..

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I had the same sympton before. it was the wire connector to the solenoid was loose and got off the contact. The Bentley doesn't has a clear picture on that, so I had a hard time finding it, until got a Hayes. After fixing that I never have start problem.

cheers,

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou