MK3 VW Cabrio - Useless alarm?

My 1995 Cabrio was broken into recently. The door was locked (which set the factory alarm system). The thiefs broke into my trunk, and did not damage the lock. There are no scratches anywhere on the trunk. I noticed in the morning the red light alarm indicator was not flashing, but the door was still locked. Are Cabrio trunks easy to break into? Id like to replace the audio gear that was stolen, but Im afraid it will just get broken into again.

Is my best route an aftermarket alarm system? One with proximity sensors?

Id also like to know how they disabled the alarm. Is that simple to do on this year/model car?

Reply to
quentin