2000 Eurovan fog wiring...help! Almost done!

I'm installing fogs on my 2000 Eurovan (not OEM ones...Hella Micro DE fogs). Here they are:

Actually I think I did pretty good on a clean install if I may say so. :-)

But one thing remains (other than aiming them of course). Anyone know where the OEM front fog wire is? I have the Euroswitch and I've determined which wire it is in the harness at the switch...it's a yellow and white wire connected to the NL terminal on the switch.

The problem is that the bundle of wires from the switch disappears into the darkness and abyss of the T4's dash. Where does this wire go? I was hoping that like the rear fog the van would be somewhat pre-wired for the front fogs. I looked in just about every wire bundle under the hood and couldn't find it. I did find the wiring bundles for the headlamps, signals, parking lamps, etc. but didn't find a fog wire. Does this wire go through the firewall? I'm hoping that VW at least ran it through the firewall somewhere. If so, does it connect to a different color wire and I just haven't found that other wire yet? Or is the wire the same color (yellow/white) just like it is at the switch? Help!

Yeah I could run my own wire to the switch but that looks almost impossible as well since the dash is very deep so I'd rather use the OEM wire if it's available under the hood somewhere. Maybe if one of you 2001-up T4 owners with OEM fogs could trace the wiring from one of the fogs and tell me what color wires are involved (esp. as you go back to the firewall with it) that might help me out in finding the one that goes to the dash switch. ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Or if someone has a Bentley and can tell me from a wiring diagram if the wire changes from yellow/white to another color or if it stays yellow/white the whole way that'd help too.

Reply to
Matt B.

I do not know the answer, but when faced with similar problems in the past I have used a "fox and hound" tool to trace the wire. This is a tool used by telephone and computer network installers and it consists of a transmit unit and a probe. Hook one lead from transmitter up to the wire at the switch (the one you found) and the other lead from the transmitter to ground. Then use the probe to snoop around until you find the other end of the wire.

If you work >

Reply to
Randolph

Interesting.

I did use a meter to try and find the wire that had 12V switched voltage via the switch but no luck. I was able to look under the dash some more and I did see the headlamp switch harness disappear into a HUGE mess behind the fuse box where it went out of sight. After 90 minutes of that nonsense I gave up because I knew I'd never be able to get back in there and see it or even reach anything. I ended up running my own wire thru the firewall with a coat hanger and spliced into the OEM wire at the switch (as opposed to finding the end of the OEM wire and continuing it).

Here's some pics of how it came out:

Matt B.