my new/old 2002 GTI 1.8T

Good morning all

it has been since 2004 that I've actually owned a VW, but I just picked up Thursday the 2002 GTI 1.8T that I bought new and then sold because my then employer didn't think I needed to be paid as much as I was getting paid... but anyway. It's back, a little rustier and 150K miles farther down the road, but I'm going to try to fix it up a little and use it as a daily driver for a while.

Is there a heavy duty front strut bearing? This seems to have been a constant issue with all VWs, if you used better shocks than the garbage Sachs ones the strut bearing would wear out before the strut would. That seems to be the case now, in fact.

I'm thinking of using Koni Special Active struts and also this brake kit

should I use anything different? I have the Special Actives on my BMW and they seem to be OK.

Finally, is there a current online parts catalog that's good? I've tried several that came up in a web search and none recognize my car's VIN. It's been in Pennsylvania for the last 18 years so I would like to have all the hardware lined up before I go to change the struts, like spring seats, bolts, etc.

thanks!

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

also, if anyone could tell me what part "9" is here and part number, I'd appreciate it.

I think I have everything else in my shopping cart at FCP Euro except for the #10 "strut stop" because clearly I have those and they look reusable. I'd have bought them anyway on principle but they're $30 apiece.

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

> > should I use anything different? I have the Special Actives on my BMW and they seem to be OK. > > Finally, is there a current online parts catalog that's good? I've tried several that came up in a web search and none recognize my car's VIN. It's been in Pennsylvania for the last 18 years so I would like to have all the hardware lined up before I go to change the struts, like spring seats, bolts, etc. > > thanks!

Congrats on the new purchase of your VW

This is a response to the post seen at:

MummyChunk