OBD II Code P0411 Question

P0411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected

What is the Secondary Air Injection System? Where do I look to check it out? I reset the code and it hasn't come on again, but if it does, I want to know where to start looking. I formerly had an engine with a Pulse Air System that shot fresh air into the exhaust stream to give the unburned fuel something to react with in the CAT. Is the Secondary Air Injection System roughly equivelent?

Thanks,

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm pretty sure that the code is one with 2-trip detection logic, where the ECU has to detect the problem on 2 different trips before turning on the MIL, so although it might not come on right away, it may come on after a few trips.

I'll check a manual tonight.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks. I also need to understand WHAT the code is checking. I haven't encountered the Secondary Injection System before, and am not sure what it is.

Also, the car is missing the gas cap. I know this causes the P0455 that I saw. I can't imagine there is a relationship between the evaporative emissions system(P0455) and the secondary injection system (P0411), but I could be wrong. The car belongs to my daughter's friend, and this girl doesn't seem to be the brightest candle on the cake. I have no intention of spending any money, but I'd like to tell her what the problem is.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't think the P0455 is related to the P0411 either but I'll let you know.

Reply to
Ray O

what model year and model?

Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

It's OBD II, it shouldn't matter the year or model because the entire point of OBD II is to standardize the codes.

For what it's worth, the car is an Audi not a Toyota, but the Secondary Air Injection should be essentially the same thing, even if implemented in a different manner.

Reply to
J Strickland

The OBD II trouble codes are standardized but not all vehicles have all trouble codes. For example, there are trouble codes for cylinder bank 2 but inline engines do not have a second cylinder bank so those codes would not apply.

The 97 Avalon does not have a secondary air injection system so the manual doesn't list possible causes and cures for a probelm with that type of system.

Reply to
Ray O

Well that's true. I was saying that if there was a Code, AND a car could make it, then it always meant the same thing. Obviously -- to me at least -- if a car can not make a particular code, the meaning of that code is a moot point because it will never occur.

Reply to
J Strickland