New Beetle OBD

Can somebody please tell me where the 16-pin diagnostic socket (for VAG-COM) is on a 2002 New Beetle UK RHD model?

Regards

Jonathan Morton

Reply to
Jonathan Morton

I would suggest if you are going to DIY your VW, get the Bentley manual and the Haynes, a good sidekick. It might even tell you how to replace the

3rd spark plug...
Reply to
Peter Parker

A perfectly fair point, Peter, and I have the Haynes - and I have now found the OBD socket. Unfortunately the Haynes Beetle manual doesn't include the later-type 1.6 engine which is fitted to my car - and which is surprisingly different from the earlier one.

Bentley manuals - good though they are - tend to be of limited use for UK readers, unless there's nothing else available.

My last foray into DIY was on a 1980s Audi 5-cyl, and it's amazing how much easier that engine was to work on (especially things like spark plug changes, which were an absolute doddle) than the modern VWs.

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton

That's odd. Generally if you have the correct year, it should have some mention of your engine type.

Ah, maybe because Haynes is a UK production, I sense a bias. LOL!!!

I agree. The new stuff is harder to DIY. Those folks without garages wouldn't even think about it IMO. The older product was easier and you could swap things out in a parking lot.

Reply to
Peter Parker

This manual never claimed to go as far as the '02 year, but there isn't one which does.

No, I'd happily have a Bentley if it included the right engines. For my Audi I have the Bentley as there's no Haynes available.

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton