"New" diesel question

I have heard that VW is going to offer a diesel Passat soon. Will it be the 1.9 four, the 2.? six, or something else? Also, will it still have the high-maintenance cam belt, or will it have a chain?

TIA

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

It'll be a 2.0L unit but overseas models will be a 16V version whereas the US (and Canada?) will be a 8V version. Not sure on the belt-vs.-chain thing.

More info here:

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B.

It's a 134 HP engine...

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Haven't heard anything about a 5-cyl version, but I think a 4 will be the most common Passat diesel....VWs 5 cylinder engines have never been the most reliable things in the world.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

There is the new 5 cyl TDI offered in the Touareg and the new transporter (T5). It is neither chain driven or belt driven... It has a gear driven camshaft and uses PD injection. It is a all new engine which delivers 174 bhp @ 3500 rpm in the Touareg and

400Nm of torque @ 2000 rpm.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder