New Jetta.. girlish??

Is it just me or does the new Jetta look like a girl car? I'm on my second Jetta (2002) and I don't think ill make it to a third...

Reply to
rennerp

It's you (and other people like you, I suppose...) - or at least it's not me.

Some people think the Jetta you currently drive is a girly car (because most girls seem to love Jetta's - tho so do a lot of guys - the MK4 was definately a hip car to be driving)... The Mk5 seems to be only a less distinctively styled car - not gender specific. It looks more modern (and less tacky then a 2004/2005.0 Mk4 with all that slathered on chrome) and sophisticated...It's the damn rear lights that ruin it for me - if they were cool LED lights, like on the new Passat I could accept it, but the Chevy Impala fused with Toyota Corolla (I was in denial, but i'll admit it now) look is just UGLY - Why not copy a car with a nice looking rear end - like its competitor the Volvo S40, or keep with the roots of invidivual bars of lights for each function.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

A "girl" car?? A car is a machine, not a person. I don't consider any car a "boy" car or a "girl" car, even if it wears a bra. ;>)

Reply to
Papa

A "girl" car?? A car is a machine, not a person. I don't consider any car a "boy" car or a "girl" car, even if it wears a bra. ;>)

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
Rob Guenther

If anything, I'd say your '02 is more "girly"-looking than the new one. I'd also say that anyone who's buying *any* generation of Jetta based on looks is perhaps a bit misguided. It's never been exactly the most beautiful car in the world.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

doesn't look feminine or masculine to me. just kinda looks like a corolla. :)

well, maybe a high end corolla. as more of them hit the road and esp. after the next Passat comes here and I see them, I have a feeling the Jetta will no longer look like a corolla to me and more like any current VW product (I think my brain will quit making the corolla connection as time goes by).

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I'd say a Corolla which is even worse - an 17 grand car compared to 13 grand car, ouch, what were they thinking? Their engineers/designers must have had their heads in a certain cavity.

Reply to
JJ Braunius

I am also on my second Jetta (2003, TDI).

I actually saw the new one for the first time this morning while driving to work. I don't like it either. I would have to see it up close to determine it is looks like a female should be driving it. It does, however, upon first glance, looks like a Toyota. Jettas are supposed to be more blocky and "built".

I have read good things about the car but can't see this thing being a high seller. Hopefully I am wrong. Maybe the insides will win over the outside and the Asian-built car buyers will start buying it instead of the European-built car buyers. Yes, I know it is made in Mexico! :-)

Numan

Reply to
Numan

I actually like the new design. Much bigger inside.

The major disappointment AGAIN is the base engine. It is a bit heavy, too (600lbs more than a Corolla I was told).

Reply to
Saintor

Cool. Thanks for the responses. I will have to get my Jetta looked at soon (a generic warning light is lit). When I say generic I mean the book says.. well the computer senses something is wrong.. What kind of crap warning light is that? I have no problems with my car right now and I am thinking the computer just hiccup'd. When I bring my car in I will get a closer look at the new Jettas.

Reply to
rennerp