89 Jetta GLI fuel filter???

Does the 89 Jetta GLI (16V 1.8) have a fuel filter? If so, please tell me how to access it.

Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks! df

Reply to
d. freem

I believe they changed this just around 1989. The older system has a transfer fuel pump inside the tank and a main fuel pump located in front of the right rear wheel under the car. The fuel filter is mounted together with the main pump and the accumulator.

The newer system uses a single fuel pump inside the tank, and I do not know where they put the filter.

If you bend down and look under the car, you will see the fuel pump by the rear wheel if you have the older system. If you let the car idle you will also hear the pump humming. If there is a pump there, then that is where the filter is.

Reply to
Randolph