NEW PASSAT BUYER

Hey everyone, I am new to "water-cooled" VW's so standby for some questions concerning my wife's Passat. Probably starting with the oil required, lol.

Reply to
Joseph Gliebe

if you already have the car then read the owners manual. That said the New Passat requires synthetic oil. But then again I use synthetic in all my cars because of the benefits.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

The manual does not list the oil manufactures of course...it gives the VW spec for that particular car. It also does not cover other specs that are satisfactory; i.e., "Higher Specs" that are also acceptable. Am I to rummage through the store shelves looking for the spec in fine print one each can? Thought maybe someone might have a list of approved oils and recommendations since many forums claim the dealers to not religiously abide by the spec(s)

Reply to
Joseph Gliebe

Reply to
Joseph Gliebe

Just make sure the oil used meets the specifications listed in the Owner's Manual. Don't count on the dealer to use the right oil and don't count on a quick oil change place to even use oil.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I hear that, have been warned by several. I am thinking of using mobile 1,

0w40. I saw some today and it said VW spec (all of them) Thanks
Reply to
Joseph Gliebe

We use the VW supplied Castrol Synthetic, but I'm sure Mobil-1 would be a excellent choice.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Here is a list of the oils

I order my oil from a local supplier and the carry the ELF brand in the

5W-40. I could not find any oil in those auto part stores except for Mobil 1 Euro blend 0W-40. And sometimes they would only have 1-3 quarts of that! :-(

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

thanks for the list; however, there is a discrepancy in what the list says about '05-current cars and '04 and earlier cars.

The list says, i quote: If your car was made between 1998 and 2004, your car requires 502.00 oil. For a list of approved 502.00 oils, click here.

If you car was made after 2004, your car requires 505.01 oil. For a list of approved 505.01 oils, click here.

However, my book says (for my '07) it must meet 502 specs......contary to the list above..

The reason i bring this up is that i am using 0w40 which is a 502 spec oil which the list (unlike my manual) lists as a '98 to '04 oil.

Please take a look and see if I am not reading it incorrectly....

thanks.,

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gliebe

Always check with your VW service advisor just in case. Lost In Space knows! ;-) Which engine is in your Passat? The 502.00 will probably work just fine, but to keep your warranty in effect....double check!

I just think that the 505.01 spec oil also covers the 502.00 spec oil. AND from that vwvortex site...... "The 505.01 oil standard is the most recent - released July 2005."

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1
2.0T and the book definately says 502.

Reply to