Rear axle bushing - rubber or poly?

Hello!

I have the rear axle off of my 82 Rabbit (in order to do the fuel tank)and I am doing the full anti-rust restoration, etc... so in the process I took off the rear axle beam mountings from the axle. Looking at the OEM rubber bushings, they are cracked, but not shot IMHO. I bought the "Prothane" red polyurethane rear axle bushing kit from Adirondack in case I decided to replace the rubber with the poly ones. Just wanted to get any opinions on doing this BEFORE I drill out the OEM rubber mounts and (regret) installing the poly ones. She is a daily driver, albeit sporty with upgrades I have done over the years. It just seems like right now, with the axle off the car, would be the time to make this "upgrade". Any experiences, recommendations, or opinions on doing this are greatly appreciated. Thanks! Andrew

1982 Rabbit

p.s. if I install the poly, do I need to get the torsional preload set just like with the rubber bushings (from Bentley)? p.s.s. if I install the poly, do I use the new washers that came with the kit or keep with the stock (dished) washers?

Reply to
Andrew Hall

We put a set of red ones on the front of my son's 89 jeep cherokee and there were no adverse effects. In fact it handles much better and all the rattles are gone. His original rubber ones were very soft. Since the axel is off and you have them go for it!

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo