Oil change gone bad...

2000 VW Passat 1.8t

Got an oil change. Long story short. They drained my transmission fluid rather than the oil. Added oil to the right place, so I drove for about 10 miles with 10 quarts of oil in the car and no Tran. fluid. I went back and they fixed it. The car shifted a little violently on my way home, but for the most part, seemed okay.

Are there and long term effects I need to worry about?

Tim

Reply to
sultimo

Yes, a shot transmission. What idiot company did your oil change anyway, one of those fast lube places?

Reply to
Papa

Nope, it was a local place. I guess the skid plate deceived him.

Reply to
sultimo

trans damage & wonder if they used the special VW trans fluid which can only be got at the VW dealer! I would want a new trans... nothing less!

Reply to
Lost again

Any damage to the cat. conv or 02 sensor with that much oil in the engine along with damage to the transmission? I will ASS.U.ME that the transmission is an automatic.

I will have to say that an IDIOT worked on your vehicle and you might have to take the vehicle to the dealer and have it checked out. I will also ASS.U.ME that this shop did not use the proper synthetic motor oil nor the correct oil filter.

JMHO dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

"deceived him."... I would view it more as he shouldn't be working on any auto! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do an oil change!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Oh hell yes. First and foremost a) did they use the right tranny fluid and b) how did they know when it was full? I don't know that your car has a dipstick. (I assume since you said tranny fluid not gear oil that it's a slushomatic.) I'd get it to a competent mechanic ASAP.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hmmm... What are the chances the guy working there was wearing ear rings?....

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Reply to
none2u

I forgot, If you have a four cylinder , they are incredibly sensitive to overfilling the oil. Even 1 quarts too much. The oil foams and starves the bearings. Hope you weren't hot-dogging. No you couldn't of been 10 miles with no tranny fluid. You are lucky it runs.

Reply to
none2u

Don't think its possible to force 10 quarts of oil in a 1.8L engine without obvious overflow.

The oil pan on a 1.8L engine is rather obvious, as is its bolt for draining the oil. It looks like an oil pan.

The location of the bolt for draining the fluid from a transaxle is way offbase. Has no appearance resembling an oil pan. Entirely different location.

The tranny fluid does two things in a manual transmission. Its lubricates obviously. Also carries heat away. Neither of which existed for some 10 miles. The synchronizers may be damaged at the very least. Wasn't an AT as the car won't move without AT fluid in that case.

Reply to
Jonny

The guy told me that that particular car has two storage compartments for AT fluid. A large one and a small one. Apparently the guy drained the small one.

Tim

ps--It's at VW today...though I don't like the way the dealers run the computer to check everything.

Reply to
sultimo

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Lots of times guys who wear earings aren't the brightest light bulbs in the ocean! Not someone I would trust to get near my GTI, thats for sure.

Reply to
Digby McSnuffernutter

Yep. And most cars, you loosen the transmission pan to drain the AT oil. There is no drain plug.

Reply to
Jonny

Ear rings, length of hair, skin color, etc. do not define a person. Character does.

Reply to
Papa

Yeah, and character determines whether they find earrings, and other outward signs of shallow superficiality, important.

Reply to
Brian Running

He's FULL of IT! I wish he could show me the "two storage compartments "... as I have yet to find it since the car came out in 1998! Do yourself a favor and get the car to the dealer and call an lawyer!

Reply to
Lost again

Sophistry. That applies to any characteristic.

Reply to
lamerfreak

Reply to
none2u