Oil Change - Not all oil drains

With my 99 Passat 1.8T, after draining the oil only 3 quarts is in the pan. I put in 4 quarts (takes 4.3 quarts) and the dipstick indicated way over full. Took out about a quart and now it's at a good level. Engine was warm and the vehicle was level. Changed the filter at the same time. Apparently a quart stayed in the motor. Has anyone else seen this?

Reply to
harburu

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Normally you will not get all the old oil out. Second, the car should be on a flat surface when you drain the oil and you may need to allow the oil to drain for some time to get the most out. Not every car will have the exact same capacity. Add all these up and you might explain your observed results.

I might add that you were correct to check the level and correct it. Maybe next time you should start with checking after putting in the three quarts. I never know how much I put in. I start checking about three quarts and then add until it is up to normal. Then the next morning I re-check and add as needed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

With the small filter the passat 1.8t only holds 3.8qt. 4.2 with the new bigger filter.

Reply to
Woodchuck