Options for 2.0 Engine change

'93 Passat 2.0, looks like it is engine time. Can anyone let me know what is involved in converting to a different engine, say TDI or VR6? I am up for the work, kind of a little project I have taken on, but just need to know ahead of time what I am getting myself into... or if it is even feasible. Items like transmission and wiring harness differences would, of course, be a great help. thanks.

Matt

Reply to
M Warren

Anything can be done with enough $$$$$? Are you willing to spend more $$ than the cars worth? Also consider what problems develop due to used parts such as engine, trans, injection, etc!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I realize that there are potential problems, I was just wondering what sort of physical compatability problems I could expect, such as transmission, electrical system, etc. Just trying to get a handle on what all the project might entail, I realize that it is probably not worth the effort, but on the other hand projects are fun. Thanks

Matt

Reply to
M Warren

I'd say even swapping in a new 2.0 will likely be challenge enough!

Stick with the same size motor.

Reply to
Simplstupd
1993 was the first year of the MKIII body style. The only engine other than the 2.0 that was ever made to fir into the MKIII body was the VR6. A VR6 engine swap is certainly possible, but you're looking at needing a new tranny, a new wiring harness, an ECU and any other small associated parts. Swapping in a used 12 valve VR6 will be more cost effective, but swapping in a 200Hp 24 valve mill would be cooler. Especially if you opted for some mods (Schrick cams, PES Tuning ECU, Supersprint exhuast, etc...), but you'd need a new six-speed for it.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I agree. My '94 2.0 has 188000 miles on it and is running better than ever once I replaced the cooling system because of a G11 to G12 upgrade that showed where all the leaks were in the radiator and water flange. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker