2 Door Golf TDI

Hello All,

I was just browsing through eBay and saw a '99 2 door Golf TDI. Didn't know they made a 2 door TDI. It seems now that I can only get the Golf TDI in a 4 door. Haven't checked at the dealer, but the online configuator at vw.com only lists 4 door bodies for the TDI.

Was '99 the only year they made a 2 door TDI A4?

Were there any 2 door Golf TDIs in the A3 line up?

Thanks Ed

Reply to
Mr.Eddy

Imported from Canada, maybe?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

No, I think it is change in VW North America offerings...When I bought my

2000 Golf, there was no 4 door GL model, now there is...as I recall, the 2 door was available as 2.0 and 1.9TDI, the 4 door (GSL only) in 2.0, 1.9TDI, and 1.8T. They removed the 1.8T option from the 4 door after 2001, so VW does sometimes take away engine options. Sometime (maybe 2002?) they added a 4 door GL model. I didn't keep track, but sometime they must have gotten rid of the 1.9TDI on the 2 door GL (guess there is no 2 door GLS, need to go to GTI to get the higher trim).

Not sure what VWs thoughts are on this, except maybe 2 door = sporty (1.8T and VR6 available on GTI, (plus 2.0 on the Golf) and 4 door = practical (2.0 and TDI available, but no 1.8T nor VR6 on the 4 door)....maybe, but some people don't fit this mold, I know people who wouldn't mind a 4 door golf with 1.8T again, or even VR6, and like you, 2 door people who want a

1.9PDI or TDI.

--------- Tom Flynn I speak only for myself

Reply to
Tom Flynn

Never seen this version (2 door TDI) before up here in Canada...

I've seen 2 doors with just the 2.0L engine (badgeless on the right hand side) with the 1.8T (and appropriate logo) and VR6 (incredibly rare.... especially in a Golf up here, i've seen a few Jetta's with the VR6)

The 4 Door 1.8T seemed to sell not to badly up here, i've seen more of them driv>

Reply to
Rob Guenther

There were 2-door Golf TDIs but yes you're right...on the US site you can't build a TDI 2-door anymore. On the Canadian one you still can.

I'm 99.9% sure that TDIs were available in all 2-door A4 Golfs in the US (at least up until now if VW's site is correct). They probably weren't as popular though as the 4-door versions I guess, hence why they're harder to find.

For the A3s, there were no TDIs in the Golfs at all for the US...only Jettas.

Reply to
Matt B.

This might fit into the strategy in Canada where they have a "CL" base model as well as the GL and GLS. Here we have no CL...only GL and GLS. The CL up there and the GL here are the lowest models on the totem pole, respectively, and maybe VW decided that the lowest model (CL up there, GL here) will therefore only have one engine (the 2.0)? Just a guess though.

Reply to
Matt B.

I can't see one spot on the Canadian site that shows a 2-door Golf with any engine... I see the GTI, but that has only the powerful gas engines.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Try the spot where you actually build/price one.

Reply to
Matt B.

That's where I was.

"english" models Golf Build a Golf GL

1.9L TDI PD Pick Colour See the features Pick options (none are for 2 door) And the summary of my brand new Gold coloured 4 door diesel Golf with plastic wheel covers and a cassette stereo (don't they have a CD player for a $23000 car yet?).
Reply to
Rob Guenther

Weird. Have all Golfs in Canada now become 4-door models only?

Reply to
Matt B.

As far as I've seen on 4 dealer lots in the greater Toronto Area over the past 2 or so years... Yes 4 door only.

I've seen 2 Door Golfs, but only with the 2,0L engine in them... and not

2003 or 2004's... and never on a lot, always driving... But they used to sell a GTI with the 2,0L so maybe that's what im thinking of too.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I saw a 2 door A4 Golf this afternoon. It looked to be no more than a couple years old. No other badges other than "Golf" on the rear.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

a dealer in Kingston Ont. has a 2 door 02 Golf TDI loaded for sale

i'm waiting to hear back from them.. and if its not sold, it will be in my driveway early next week..

wife or no wife

heheh

Mike

Reply to