Passat better value than Golf/Jetta?

Hello there?

I was thinking about a "new" car and was wondering if I should get a Passat over a Golf??

I have done a quick survey on autotrader and automart and it seems Passats might be a little less money but they are probably less economical than a golf as they must be heavier?

Does anyone have an opinion on which over 5 years old Passat would be good to look at?

I would like the '97 TDI but worry about it being discontinued right after '97?

any thoughts on Golf versus Passat regardless of the size/fuel economy difference would be much appreciated?

Michael

Reply to
mkl

I think you'll find that Passats are generally *more* expensive than Golfs, not less. And yes, they will tend to have somewhat poorer fuel economy. The Passat's a damn nice car, though.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I now have a Jetta TDI wagon. Before that I had Passat 1.8T wagon. There are obvious difference related to the engines, but other than that:

1) The Passat (obviously) has more rear seat and cargo room. 2) The Passat (GLS) had a trip computer and outside temp readout while the Jetta (GLS) does not. 3) The Passat rides a little softer. 4) The noise level at highway speed seems similar 5) The seats, leather in both cars, are similar, and are comfortable in both cars.

From my experience with Passat and Jetta wagons (Golf would be similar to Jetta), the main advantage of the Passat is the extra room and softer ride. The advantage of the specific Jetta I have vs my Passat is that the TDI gets much better fuel economy than the 1.8T.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

I had a 1991 passat from 1995 to this summer. Real nice to drive on th hwy, feels jeavy around town, milage just OK. Bad reputation but I had no major stuff happen. Maintenance (tires, brakes and all repairs) were very stable around 2200cdn$/year. Few repairs (nothing major), but anything will be expensive (brakes, etc.). I got rid of it because a gasket job was due for more than the car was worth.

If a jetta does it for you I expect you can maintain it for about 1/2 to

3/4 of the cost of maintaining a Passat. Either way you _need_ a good mechanic you trust.

Regards,

Hans (now with a jetta)

Reply to
Hans

I think it all comes down to the rear seat room. Passats have lots more legroom in back than a Golf/Jetta. In front IMHO they don't feel substantially different. If rear seat room is important, get the Passat, else get a Golf/Jetta.

Reply to
Matt B.

I bought a 96 passat tdi wagon new and for over 100k miles averaged 45 mpg. Unless your very lucky you'll not find a good passat tdi in the US. I now own a 99.5 jetta tdi and it averaged 49+ mpg for over 100k miles. Both are nice cars. Like others have said, the back seat is the difference. If someone will be riding there reguarly get the Passat. Otherwise go on condition and price.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo