Passat exhaust

I had my '99 Passat 1.8T MOT'd (for those outside the UK that's an annual road worthiness check) in January and was informed that, although it passed, the exhaust was 'blowing'.

A few months down the line, no noises or rattles and everything is running smoothly. I took a quick look under the car just after starting it, however, and could see water being blown out of the joint where the pipe that goes under the passenger compartment goes into the muffler towards the back of the car.

Anyone any advice on whether this is a major cause for concern that I should have rectified immediately, or if I could let it go for a while. I also don't want to get ripped off by some dodgy exhaust fitter telling me I'll need a new cat or suchlike, so some clues as to work required and ballpark cost (dollars or sterling) would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Reply to
jb

Been her before and still thanks for previous help long ago. my 88 fox right now has temp problems .I would like to find out wat is the proper reading on the gauge when car is running normaly,, it is an idiotgauge with some striped markings but no proper indication of temperature, any ideas?? thanks moony.

Reply to
Lambert Moonen

Well actually the 'gauge' is the smart monitoring device! lol AFAIK You will not find too many Foxes with actual temperature readings such at 230 degrees F.

The light is what is referred to as the 'idiot light'.

I usually like the temp to be midway to 3/4 to hot when the engine is at normal temperature.

Why don't you tell us what problems you are having?

JMHO

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1