Exhaust for 83 YJ

I've got a YJ build around a 1983 base. The only parts that are original

1983 are interchangeable with the donor 1987. Therefore my YJ doesn't need to pass a smog test, only safety inspection.

My exhaust finally let go this weekend. George Foreman (Meinke sp?) says its $850 - $1150 to replace. Everything except the manifold needs replacement. I figured I'd spend a few hundred dollars having them do it instead of crawling under it and pounding for two days, but for that kind of money, I'll grab a case of beer and start pounding.

Seeing as I'd like to tread lightly on the atmosphere, I should probably go with a catalytic converter.

What should I get for a replacement? Suggestions requested.

Reply to
Steve Foley

I've got a YJ build around a 1983 base. The only parts that are original

1983 are interchangeable with the donor 1987. Therefore my YJ doesn't need to pass a smog test, only safety inspection.

My exhaust finally let go this weekend. George Foreman (Meinke sp?) says its $850 - $1150 to replace. Everything except the manifold needs replacement. I figured I'd spend a few hundred dollars having them do it instead of crawling under it and pounding for two days, but for that kind of money, I'll grab a case of beer and start pounding.

Seeing as I'd like to tread lightly on the atmosphere, I should probably go with a catalytic converter.

What should I get for a replacement? Suggestions requested.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Call Around.

In the Cincinnati area Cat-Back installations are usually available for $100 or less with a lifetime guarantee. Adding a new converter will add a few hundred to the price.

Reply to
Billy Ray

wow... in houston meineke does my convertors for 125 installed.

replacement.

Reply to
IsellJeeps

What are they using? Gold plated stainless or something?

The complete system for a CJ7 runs under $300.00. Front pipe, muffler, tailpipe, hangers and Speedy Muffler's labor. I get 5.89 NOx running with a 2" straight pipe and a dynomax superturbo muffler. The muffler alone is something like $71.00.

CJ's use a straight pipe with the exhaust on the driver's side.

Mike

Steve Foley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain