95 GLE Rattling Noise - Exhaust???

My 95 Max GLE has original exhaust system at 147,000 miles. The muffler is very rusted on the outside and needs to be replaced soon. When the car is started cold (summer) I hear a raspy rattling sound that goes away in a couple of minutes after things warm up. I'm guessing that the noise is exhaust system related. Heat shields? or something? What parts of the exhaust system tend to fail first?

I plan to keep car for a long time, should I replace the entire exhaust system or just the muffler. Should I use Nissan parts or go after market?

Reply to
WayneL

It could the the baffles inside the muffler have come loose.

Reply to
JimV

Well the exhaust on my 97SE is still ok, but my Mazda had a similar problem. I pulled the catalytic converter and found some loose heat shields and broken brackets, as well as a small hole in the cat body. The fix was removing a heat shield and rewelding the hole shut.

So my point is: a good cheap muffler shop may be able to fix it quick and easy, and not compromise its function. If the components need replaced though, OEM parts might kill you on cost. Aftermarket will also be fine and be much cheaper, as long as you don't get a fartcan put on.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I have a 93 GXE 157k miles, original exhaust. Had an exhaust rattle about a year ago. It turned ot to be the heat shield above the cat converter. Removing the broken heat shield fixed the problem.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie