94 YJ 4cyl -- missing gasket between headers and exhaust pipe?

I ripped out my exhaust today to replace a bad catalytic converter and muffler, and I noticed there wasn't any kind of gasket where the exhaust headers meet with the exhaust pipe that goes to the cat. Just metal to metal. Is there supposed to be a donut gasket or something in there?

I looked at the walker exhaust page for the YJ which is here

it looks like they sell the gaskets I'm asking about, but only forthe 6cyl and earlier 4cyl exhausts (91-92) ... which makes me wonderif there isn't supposed to be a gasket for my '94 4cyl.

Reply to
mr_man

mr_man did pass the time by typing:

Depends, but usually yes. You can run across a composite O ring, flat gasket, or lead wedge O ring depending on the coupling.

Look for a lead like O ring, it usally sticks to the header side just below the flange. That pipe by the way is called a "down pipe" between the header and the cat.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

i have the same year and the same engine, and no gasket or o-ring. but it also leaks bad. but due to severe rust and corrosion i'm replacing the headers and down pipe soon.

Reply to
Robert Hahn

I took the downtube off again today and snapped a pic

There's no gasket there, just a rounded metal part that fits in the downtube. Is this enough to seal it? I fired the jeep up, felt around the connection and didn't notice any air leaks.

Reply to
mr_man

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That engine has the same style cast header as the 258. I tried hard to get a gasket in mine because the shop listed it. LOL! I tried real hard too. Bugger wouldn't last a day....

No gasket needed.

Mike

mr_man wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mines the same for a 93 yj. If that hookup isn't perfectly round, you get leaks. You have to handle the area delicatly to prevent any mishapping. You can use a hightemp copper gasket sealant. It works pretty well. Nick

Reply to
Nick N