Post-Crash Jetta....

Anybody that has been through a rear end collision with an A2 Jetta, and has had their car successfully repaired, please let me know...I have post-crash pictures of my Jetta, and need to know how to handle the insurance adjuster tomorrow

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Rear ends are never your fault, so milk the other guy for all he's got ;-)... Get a new A4 Jetta outta the deal some how...

How bad is your Jetta Peter?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I was in a 5-car collision recently in my A2 Jetta. My A2 was the last car to be hit (the front most car) and my rear bumper including its re-inforcement inside had to be replaced, although it took the hit well. The trunk floor was bent upwards on the left side. The auto-body shop gave me an estimate of CAD$2300 for that. The insurance adjuster will examine the damage and take digital pictures and also will look at the damage estimate from the auto-body shop (if you have one). Basically, he/she will cross check the $ amount from the auto body shop. Remember, it's YOUR choice where you want to get your car repaired from. Also, I think that if the damage estimate is more than the red-book value of your car, then the insurance co. will give you the lesser of the amounts (hurts, I know).

If you're in the Toronto Area, I highly recommend going to Reg's Auto Body shop at Danforth/Kennedy Road. He has been in business for over 30 years and deals directly with the insurance companies. He also has rentals on-site. I had no hassles at all. His tel. number is 416-261-5558.

Amit. amit_at_interlog.com

Reply to
Amit Joneja

Though I was instead hit in the front (Tboned at intersection in parking lot where the OP didn't stop), I went through a similar thing in '98 on my A2 GTI...I wasn't quite ready to part with the car, of course the insurance company wanted to total it out (it was an '86)...they did, but I bought it back from them, and with a couple of friends fixed it up...some of the damage was to the front unibody, so that had to be straightened to get a new fender and bumper to attach right...we didn't have portapower, but used an I beam leverage to bend things back into closer alignment...it wasn't perfect, but I could put a new fender, grill, headlights, and bumper on it...bought at salvage yard, the parts were only a couple hundred dollars (mostly was labor, getting it back into form)....also needed new hood and front radiator support.

I didn't even have it repainted, so I had a different color fender (burgandy) on my Silver car...but I think it actually made people drive more carefully in front of me (for someone driving a small car)...since they assumed that I could get into another accident with them...didn't look too bad, made the car more utilitarian....I drove it another 2 years, and sold it for $1600.

The back is tougher to deal with (unless you have bodyworking tools welding equipment) unless it is just rear bumper or trunk. If there is much damage, you are going to have a hard time getting it fixed for the insurance settlement, unless you can do it yourself or get some friends to help.

Sorry to hear of your accident....I now have an A4, though I miss my A2 (like my A1 before it)....for me, it was time to get something else, after having the A2 almost 15 years (vs only 7 for the A1).

Reply to
Tom Flynn

Get an estimate from a VW dealership, as it is likely to be the highest Note that some dealerships don't do free estimates anymore. Keep it to yourself until you see what the adjuster estimates. If his is lower then show him the estimate. If his is higher keep your mouth shut. Be sure to make the insurance company provide you with a rental while yours is in the shop. If the insurance company drags their feet settling, get the rental car whether you need it or not. That rental meter ticking away on their dime tends to move things along. If they try to screw you, tell them you and your SO have not been able to have sex ever since the accident, and what are they going to do about that?

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Put the pics up on a web site somewhere like geocities and then post the link here for better info. But my understanding is that a major wreck in the rear almost always totals the car. Most everything is welded in there and so can't be easily replaced like front end parts. In addition, the stuff that crumpled to lessen the energy transfered to you isn't going to crumple again the 2nd time. If you ever get in another major accident with it you may not be as lucky.

A2 Jettas in good condition are a dime a dozen in the south. I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. Just get it totalled and look around for another one from Georgia, Texas, CA, etc. To import a VW of that age from the USA you probably only need to get the speedo replaced, since they were basically the same in how they were offered in both countries.

Even if they do a good job fixing it, it'll likely rust quicker or the new paint will peel or body panels will not have even gaps where the meet other body panels, or it'll be hard to align... the list goes on and on.

Of course, I could be assum>Anybody that has been through a rear end collision with an A2 Jetta, and has

Reply to
Bob Hetzel

Actually, it works a little differently than that. First, you don't get to just request a rental, you need to have already had paid for rental car coverage as part of your policy/premium. When you get the rental, some policies state that you only get to keep it as long as the AVERAGE repair time allows. If a special order part drags out for weeks, you may have to turn in the rental after a few days.

Check with your agent to verify rental car coverage and duration.

When you get a rear-ender back. BEFORE you leave the shop, check all the tail lights. Silly, I know. But many times they DON"T EVEN CHECK THEM! Then, request a garden hose attached to a water supply and hose down the trunk lid gaps completely. Pop the trunk and see if it leaks. Make sure the trunk lid jambs don't have primer or rough paint overspray in them. It marks the car as having a major repair. Next, try the KEY to see if it works. Try the remote unlocking feature. Make sure the ALARM works properly. Check the fit and finish of the bumper. Tug on the bumper cover at various places and ensure it is fastened well. See that they replaced all your license plate lights and covers. Most shops don't replace "aftermarket" parts because the insurance company does not pay them. If you had a cover, call your agent and demad they give you the money to replace it. Most policies are vague on this one.

Good Luck, Mike

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Mike Spera

Get all the estimates you can, & if repairable give the insurance company the one that you want to repair the car (the best shop); if it's totaled, then give them the highest. Remind them that they'll owe you for diminished value after the car is fixed, as well as a rental car. Check your state laws concerning the length of rental allowed as well as other specifics. Visit my website for other tips & info, & links to your state regulator. Don't let them tell you where to take it (they can't). Don't try to get more than you're due - that's insurance fraud. After it's all finished, post your story on my website, 'cause I'm sure they'll try to screw you. :-) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver