Problem after belts replaced

A friend of mine just had three belts replaced on her 1997 TDI (300,000 km), timing belt plus two fan belts. Within 50 miles of having this done, the fan belts broke, and the steering pump was seized. Could this just be a conicidence? Or, would this be caused by an error like the belts being too tight?

Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pogor

Well, if the steering pump sized it could cause its belt to jump and get caught in the other belt breaking both. But that is one heck of a coincidence. In my opinion it is more likely that the belts were replaced to tightly putting excess pressure on the steering pump bearing causing them to fail and seizing the pump. I'd at least go talk to whoever did the maintenance.

HTH Steve

Reply to
sehaare

As Steve said above. Was it an independant shop or a dealer?

Reply to
Peter Parker