Extra Large oil filter for 1.8T

Went to the dealer yesterday to buy a couple oil filters. The parts guy gave me these extra large ones and said this is what VW is recommending for the 1.8 Turbo engines now. I used it and it worked OK but it requires about a half quart more oil. Before I used four quarts of Mobil-1 0/40 and now not only do I have use more oil but the filter cost more too....

Does anyone think these bigger filters are worth it?? I change my oil every 5k and I don't have any sludge buildup or Turbo Turds that I can see.

02Passat1.8T
Reply to
Tim Burr

Synthetic oil + large filer... every 10000kms oil change should be great, i'd think. That's how often I change it with my diesel (16000kms is the VW interval) and the engine runs beautifull, doesn't burn any, no sludge).... I drive my TDI (1999.5 Golf) pretty hard (for a diesel...) and no problems - except bad EGR coking due to the exhaust smoke :-).

Apparantly those suggestions of oil changes every 5000kms apply only to the cheapest dino oil and the worst filters out there - you're using the good stuff, all the studies i've read and people i've talked to would indicate you would be fine to extend your oil change intervals.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

And it should make your engine keep running better (cooler) and longer! It should have more filtering area and allows more oil to help keep things inside of your engine, and turbo, a little cooler.

It costs you what about $6 more an oil change? Hmmm and BTW are you complaining about the costs when you go to the dealer to purchase parts?

8^o You can always purchase your filters from an aftermarket source and pick up the synthetic oil on sale.

JMHO

Reply to
One out of many daves

They are now the only filter VW wants on the Passat 1.8t. Cost shouldn't be an issue since I bet it under $5 more.

Reply to
Woodchuck