Question about motor swap in a 1987 GTI

Hey how hard would it be to put a 16V motor in a 1987 GTI? Would it entail more then just swapping out the brain? thanks, ben

Reply to
Ben Dixon

It probably wouldn't be too bad. You should replace both the knock sensor control unit and the ke-jetronic computer with one from a 16V. You will need to replace the engine (duh), alternator, distributor, intake and exhaust manifolds. You'll also need to make sure you have the right clutch components (I think a straight 16V clutch will work with the 8V tranny). Water pump is probably the same, starter is definitely the same. Not sure about A/C compressor. The ISV is the same but its mounting is a little different. I don't know about the plastic intake tube or some of the hoses (PCV, evap, etc). Probably you will be fine as long as you get them from the donor vehicle, but you might not need them. Also, the Scirocco intake manifold will not work because the intake is on the wrong side.

This assumes you are going with the PL motor. Honestly though, a 1.8l 8V with a cam and an exhaust would probably be comparable to a stock 16V, so its probably only worth it if you are switching to a worked over 2L 16V. otherwise, it may be worth going with a ABA block, which is a pretty simple swap (it bolts right up, just have to make sure you are using the right head gasket, timing belt, etc) and you will need an Audi 80 distributor (or you will need to modify your current one.

The 9A (2L 16V) motor can probably be run off KE-Jetronic injection/ignition. As far as I know, as long as you are sticking with the KE-Jet injection/ignition system the 9A motor, distributor, alternator, etc, should drop in identically to the PL.

Reply to
blah

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I believe the clutch discs are different and not interchangable, but the clutch disc is based on what engine you have, not what transmission. The pressure plate is different, but interchangable, the 16V unit is stronger.

I'm quite sure both KE-Jetronic ISVs are the same. The hose configuration on the ISVs may be different because the mounting is completely different, but the unit itself is interchangable. Incidentily, I was in a junkyard once and found the same ISV on some Hyundai, I forget which model/year. It was a mid to late 90s IIRC. I was quite shocked. The ISV on the 2L 16V (and on Digifant IIRC) is completely different and not interchangable.

Reply to
blah

"Ben Dixon" wrote

Are you talking about a 1.8 liter 16 valve? You probably mean a later 2.L.

I put an Audi bubble block 2.0 liter 4 in my 88 golf. The engine 'pulls' lower than a 16 valve 1.8 and I use Digifant II stock on the car with it. Use same knock sensor too. The motor has run electricmotorish and starts instantly for years. Though there are (or were) two of these in 2 Audi 80s in a You Pull It local yard - generally they are hard to find. The Golf has great low end pull with this vintage motor. More commonly, the later 2.L blocks are used.

I think if I did a swap again I would do a Diesel swap like doing all the work of putting in a TDI to a A2 or even A1 at worst a later TD, with the fuel prices.

Harry

Reply to
Harry 1

No I am pretty sure that the clutch disc has to match the different input shafts of the transmission! :-) If you compare the discs you will find that they are basically the same and only different when mounting on the trans. Either will fit inbetween the flywheel and pressure plate and work. ;-) Now that is if we are talking about A2 clutch components! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1