Rabbit flooding

My 1.6 VW Rabbit has been flooding like mad (may or may not have been brought on by the colder weather, not really sure when it started
exactly). There is a very strong smell of gas fumes as soon as the car starts but I do not see any leaks, I am pretty sure it is unburnt fuel in the exhaust. The car also idles way too high (2000 RPM) and adjusting the idle screw in the back of the throttle body has no effect. Any ideas?
Do the injectors leak when you follow the injector testing procedure in the Bentley manual? Do they have the correct pattern as illustrated in the Bentley? Does the auxillary air regulator close as per the testing procedure inthe Bentley manual? Does the fuel pressure follow the pattern in the Bentley when testing the control pressure regulator?

Jim B.

What year is this Rabbit? 1977-1981(?) with the 1.6 engine. 1981 with 02 sensor IIRC . Might be a weak ign coil or other ign. component. Might be a defective cold start valve (AKA 5th injector). Might be a defective warm up regulator. Make sure your Aux. Air Regulator is operating properly and closing when warming up.
later, dave (One out of many Daves)
Just wanted to say thanks, I got the problem fixed. It was a combination of a crappy injector (leaking) and a faulty air regulator.