Re: 1984 vanagon cuts out after starting

Thanks...ah the temp sensor...I'll look at it immediately...we have some camping to do this summer...

thanks stephen

Reply to
1984Vanagon

I may have a ECU for that year if you need one for $25+ UPS? Just let me know the part number.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for the response...

My 1984 vanagon Westy is a daily driver- and at times my home. It ran perfectly for a long time while my wife and kids had it on an extended vacation all around the US two years ago. It started misbeahaving this past winter when it would cut out on me shortly after I started it. I replaced the O2 sensor, fuel filter & pump and checked the spray on the injectors. I have spark to the plugs- hot.

I went to my flaps (friendly local auto part store) and told them I needed a cylinder head temp sensor (as called in the Bently manual, but cannot find it in any of the numerous catalogs I have. Any thoughts??? The picture in the bentley manual is completely different from the pic shown to me by my flaps???

Thanks for the response.

Reply to
1984Vanagon

Don't think the ECT sensor can be got outside VW dealer. And, it shouldn't be that pricy. Did you check and clean all the grounds on the engine? Not just look at them but take then off and clean everything...

Reply to
Woodchuck