Re: Alignment Problem...

Great, went back to the shop, and the shop mechanic said..

"No worries!!! I'll fix that up right away!!" Then he pulled out a wrench, proceeded to to turn 2 rounds on each of the tie-rod end adjustments, so 2 rounds more on left, 2 rounds less on right... Great! Now it's all fixed...

Yearh right.. Now I'm even more unhappy.... What happened to the computer and laser that's supposed to help with alignment?

(Really need to vent...)

David

Had my 89 Jetta front wheels aligned after changing to Power Steering... > > Car does go in a straight line... Problem is, I can't make U-turns as > easily now!!! > > The cause is, since both sides of the Power Steering tie-rod ends are > adjustable (not like the manual, which only one side is adjustable, so they > can't make a mistake), the stupid shop simply centered the steering wheel > (which is NOT centered correctly), and made the adjustment to BOTH tie-rod > ends. > > Now the car runs fine regularly, but when making turns, I get a smaller > right-turn radius, and larger left-turn radius... > > Kinda unhappy now... Especially unhappy when trying to make U-turns in > tight streets... > (Just venting...). > > I guess I'll have the shop re-align them correctly... hopefully they'll > understand what I'm talking about.. > > David > >
Reply to
David Lo

He is not supposed to do that. The drivers side tie-rod needs to be measured exactly with the steering wheel straight. Then you align the other side with an alignment machine. Go back to the mechanic and tell him that you will be taking it to the dealer, they will find out what the "mechanic" did wrong and then you bill the mechanic. That or he can give you half of your money back and then go to a dealer. They will adjust the measurements and align it.

Reply to
Peter Parker