2013 Elantra GLS: Is it hard to change out tie rods?

So while I was getting my rear brakes done the other day, the tech showed my that my outer left tie rod was loose and jiggling. He said
it's not good and yeah, I know it's not good to have bad tie rods. Outer right tie rod moves but only a little. I already ordered a pair to replace both rods but is it something a mere mortal can do or should I leave it up to a shop?
I've changed a valve cover gasket, heater core and installed a hitch on a 2019 Subaru myself once before. On the lift, it didn't seem like that big a deal to change out the outer tie rods. The tech said it's a 15 minute job per tie rod. Does that sound right? Thoughts?
On 28/08/2019 20:22, TCW wrote:

Catch22 - if it is a 15minute job, let him do it. It wont cost much and he will take responsibility.
If it is a 15hour job for him, it would be too complicated for me.
--

Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
On 8/28/2019 3:12 PM, Flop wrote:

I agree. I'd rather have the peace of mind since it's a steering related thing. If I do it wrong and it comes off or breaks on the highway, could be bad for all involved.
TCW wrote:

Difficulty is relative. I could do it in 30 min in my driveway but since it's about 106F out now and mosquitos are everywhere I would just take it to a shop. Odds are it will need toe in / out set afterward. I could do that in less than 30 min in my driveway.
On 8/28/2019 5:10 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

They quoted me $85 for the job for doing both and I would expect that they'd have to do the toe in as you said. Plus, if something goes sideways, it's on them, not me to fix it. Thanks.
On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 17:10:14 -0500, Paul in Houston TX

So after getting my oil changed and tires rotated, the tech at Firestone noted my outer tie rods having play and recommended a full alignment. Is that 100% necessary? The shop who wants to charge me $85 to replace both tie rods will, I imagine, know that they have to do more than just take the old ones off and slap new ones on, yes? Should I ask exactly what additionally they will do when they get replaced and if they reply "nothing", run?
TCW wrote:

If it were me, I would have the tie rods ends replaced, check all the suspension parts and if ok then get the full alignment. Hard to say about the shop... theoretically if all the other parts are in good shape, no damage or bent parts, then it is possible to replace the ends and not have to do an alignment, assuming the new parts are identical to the old ones and they put it back like it was.
On 9/4/2019 9:30 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Ok. A smaller local shop that is offering to do the tie rod job for $85 showed me that everything other than the outer rods else looks ok. Firestone also said everything else looks ok. Firestone did say my front tires were unevenly worn due to the tie rods but I rotated them anyways as it was time to do so and I know I am getting the tie rods replaced next week anyway. Sine I'm the only one who drives my car, I know I've never hit a curb / pothole hard knowingly trashed my suspension so I am confident that the rest of my suspension is ok. I'm fairly anal about tire pressure and rotation and when I'm going at a good clip on flat road and let the wheel go I don't drift to the left or right at all so that's usually the basic indicator (to me) of alignment issues.
On 9/4/2019 9:30 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

I called a second shop nearer to my house who fixed my A/C issue and they said to absolutely get an alignment after the tie rod replacement especially if the parts are not a 100% match. They charge $100 for labor and $89 for a laser accurate alignment. Not too bad IMHO.
TCW wrote:

The car is 6 or 7 years old and the springs are sagging, the bushings are squished, and shocks not as tight. If it were me I would get the full alignment.